Friday, May 17, 2013

Summer is here

Wow, I cannot believe how quickly time flies by. I would never be able to keep up with a daily blog. So my bi-weekly (tri-weekly;)) posts will have to be summed up into all the happenings around our household. I have been working a lot at the restaurant and picking up extra shifts where possible to get some extra cash so my evenings and cooking with new recipes have been minimal. We've been making some classics and mixing in some breakfast for dinner. Jeremiah's doing a great job of cooking lately and keeping the house under wraps. Callahan doesn't cry when I leave anymore, so its kind of bittersweet, but I know they love their daddy time. The nice weather makes all the difference in the world with our daily routines. The boys are behaving better and sleeping better. No complaints at all. Just had a little thunderstorm come through, but even that's more fun to me than snow so I can handle it. Was hoping to get my flowers and garden in this weekend but it looks like rain, so we're holding off until next week. Will definitely have pics of that!!
   Big event of the last week was probably Mother's day :) It turned out to be an amazing weekend. I did have to work but it didn't seem to dampen my spirits of the time I got to spend with Jeremiah and the boys. Jeremiah made me feel like a true mother and very appreciated. It was a day/weekend I've always pictured with my family. So thank you Jeremiah!
  Next up.....I finally made a name for my cake pop business and made it official with new business cards. The blog will be up soon as well like I promised a while back :) Very excited about it and getting some orders in.
  Oakley finished preschool this week as well. Can't believe another year has gone by. Although he won't start kindergarten for another year, the year he had was so great it is kind of hard to see it come to an end. His teacher was amazing, she loved him dearly and he learned so incredibly much this year. He can tell you information about almost any animal you ask him. He can draw almost anything you ask him. He can color in the lines of a coloring book and he can write any word you tell him to spell. I'd say that's a lot for a 4 year old in my opinion. I think he's a smart one ;) For summer activities we are hoping for t-ball along with many days at the pool and swimming. It's crazy how much we long for summer and then we look at our calenders and its filled up until next fall!! So my goal for the summer to just sit back relax and enjoy these boys in my life: Jeremiah, Oakley, and Callahan.
   Callahan will have some adjusting to do as well with Oakley home now, we did have a great Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine together. But he absolutely LOVES being able to go outside and follow and play with Oakley.

This recipe is one of our favorites and one I kind of forgot about and pulled it out last week:
Tamale corn cakes with rajas topping:
 Chipotle cole slaw
  4 cups cole slaw mix
  1/4 cup ranch salad dressing
  1 Tbsp Chipotle Rub (pampered chef)
Rajas topping
  1/2 rotisserie chicken
  1 tbsp vegetable oil
  1 medium onion
  2 poblano peppers
  1 Tbsp chipotle rub
 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
 Corn cakes:
  1 pkg corn muffin mix (gluten free)
  1 egg
  2 Tbsp melted butter
 3/4 cup milk
  1 Tbsp Chipotle Rub

1. Toss slaw mix with dressing and rub and set aside
2. shred chicken. Heat oil in skillet and add peppers and onions. Cook 4-5 minutes until tender. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Add bbq and chipotle rub and cook about 1 minute; until heated through
3. Prepare corn cakes. Mix all ingredients cook on griddle turning once.
Note: I ran out of my Pampered chef seasoning so I started subbing in 1 fajita packet. I just porportion it out evenly and it tastes the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment