Monday, February 25, 2013

**Callahan is 2!**

All right another week has come and gone. I think it's starting to be my Monday tradition to catch up on laundry and do my blog ;)

Callahan's birthday was a success! 
 

 We had so many friends and family. It made it a great day. I'd say he made out pretty well on some very generous gifts from everyone who loves him so much and not that a two year old says too much, but I think he enjoyed it all as well. Big brother Oakley handled all of it very well too. Callahan has been an avid little people fan pretty much since he started playing with toys as well as a ball lover, however, lately he has been obsessed with basketball and baseball and football, oh and I guess soccer.......that pretty much covers close to every ball sport. So yes we think he's going to be quite the little athlete. He got some great animals to go along with his little people zoo, he's already lined them up a couple of times to show them off as well as a huge little people little wheelies race track, with music and movement it's right up this kids ally! He got balls of course and a great bucket of mega blocks that hes obsessed with as well, and a bubble leaf blower. I think he's set for entertainment for quite a while! Finally, Jeremiah and I bought him a basketball hoop. It is the ticket item in the house every evening. Sharing has thankfully become second nature with only one "original" basketball for the hoop. I'd say both boys are doing very well. It's so fun to watch them interact like this finally and play with each other more and more.
I also found myself continuing to apologize for my lack of display and effort in decorating and making goodies, as I often consider that my "thing". Entertaining, cooking, and baking, but finding that being in a small town the things I once so easily had access too is now a little bit harder and need to be more planned out. BUT bottom line is,  I feel everyone thought it was a great time and a wonderfully party. All that matters is the birthday boy enjoyed it and time was spent with the people closest to us! I can't say thank you enough to all the people who love him and us so much. It's a huge blessing.



 Now onto some food and recipes!

My latest obsessive snack......Spicy Baked Chickpeas!!! They are so amazing and nothing but healthy! I posted it on facebook and had quite a few responses from people wanting the recipe so here it is!

Dried and ready to bake

All done

2 cans (14oz) Chickpeas
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Spice Mix
    2 tsp Sugar
    1 1/2 tsp Cumin
    1 1/2 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Garlic Salt
Drain and Rinse chickpeas. Spread out on a paper towel or towel to dry, place another towel or paper towel on top and rub gently to help dry. Some skins may peal off, you can throw these out or keep them, I kept mine.  The dryer they are the better. Preheat oven to 425. Place dried chickpeas in a large bowl and pour in Olive oil, stir until they are coated. Add Spice mix stirring to coat chickpeas. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, place chickpeas on pan and bake 40-60 minutes, stirring half way through. I set the timer for 21 minutes then stirred and baked for another 23 minutes. They can burn quickly between the 40-60 minute time so watch them closely, I'd say 45 is safe. They will get crunchier as they cool. I like to have a mix of burnt, perfect, and soft, preferably myself.

I also made everything for Callahan's birthday gluten free. We had spiced apple dip with apple slices, taco layer dip with chips, GF sugar cookie bars, GF candy dipped pretzels, GF white cupcakes (Betty Crocker mix), Black bean cupcakes, and BBQ little wienies. You can follow the links I have for the food by clicking on them if you want the exact recipes, otherwise my versions are below. I also added a couple of tablespoons of GF flour to the black bean cupcakes. Last time I made them they seemed to come out pretty flat and I like them to have a little raise so this seemed to solve that problem. 

Party favors


8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 C brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp spice mix (below)
1. Cream the cream cheese and sugars, so the sugar is almost dissolved and you can't taste the grains when eating it.
2. Mix in vanilla and spices
Spice Mix
1/4 c cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp ginger

21/2 C GF flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1. preheat oven to 375, 9x13 pan
2. Mix flour, powder, and salt, set aside
3. Cream butter and sugar
4. Add egg
5. Add sour cream and vanilla
6. Slowly add flour
7. Gently press in pan
8. Bake 17-20 minutes
Frosting
1/2 c butter, softened
4 C powdered sugar
1/4 c half and half
1 tsp vanilla
Food coloring
Cream butter, sugar, and half and half. Stir in vanilla and color to desired color.

Tonight: Got a Surprise Date Night! Very Excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment