Thursday, January 10, 2013

Changes are good

So it has been a few days since I last posted anything and I feel like I have a ton to share so bare with me if you want or can :)
I've got some great recipes that we have tried. I think they all went over well for the most part.

Monday night I threw together an egg salad tossed in a tasty curry sauce. We are not huge boiled egg people but the dressing was very good. I served them on GF tortilla wraps. I gave the boys quesadillas for supper with these wraps and they tasted a lot better. I would try the salad over GF toast as well as possibly add in some onion and celery, this may be the only time in my life I've wanted celery added to something.


   Creamy Curry Dressing
      1/2 cup low fat yogurt
      1/2 cup low fat mayo
      3 Tbsp Lemon juice
      2 Tbsp Water
      1 Tbsp Honey (used agave nectar)
      1 Tsp Curry Powder
      1/4 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp pepper
Mix all ingredients and whisk or blend until smooth.
I boiled and chopped I think 8 eggs, I would do for sure a dozen or more as there was a little to much dressing to egg ratio.
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/creamy-curry-dressing-recipe-ew0411

Tuesday for lunch I made tofu nuggets for the boys. Oakley has always liked tofu as I gave it to him more as a baby than Callahan. Oakley devoured these! I was a little surprised since he hadn't had tofu in some time, but so happy he loved them :) So if your kids love chicken nuggets maybe this would be a different alternative for you.
      14oz tofu
      1-2 cups bread crumbs
      2 Tbsp soy sauce
      2 Tbsp spicy mustard
      2 Tbsp agave nectar
      1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
      1 Tbsp mayo
Cut tofu into 8 slices. If you have never worked with tofu, you will want to drain the water then once sliced I lay them out on a white towel, you know those great ones our grandparents and parents used or in churches. They work great. Then brush the soy sauce on both sides and let them sit a few minutes while pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees. Then mix mustard, honey or agave nectar, soy sauce, and mayo. Dip tofu slices in mix then in bread crumbs. This is where I used Kellogs corn flake crumbs instead. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. Done.


Two more recipes I want to share.......
Tuesday night we had spaghetti. Probably the boys' favorite meal. So of course I bough GF spaghetti and our usual ground turkey with sauce. We have had GF pasta, but the spaghetti was a disappointment. Tasted fine but did not cook up well unless I just needed to pay more attention to it so I think I'll try a different brand next time. But I can never have spaghetti with out some sort of garlic or cheese bread so I tried this little number and again....AMAZING.
    Cauliflower Pizza Dough
       2 Cups riced cauliflower (grate the cauliflower on a cheese grater)
      2 eggs ( I used egg whites)
      2 Cups Mozzerella
      2 garlic cloves
     1/4 cup fresh basil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
Combine all ingredients then press onto paper and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Ok, now my changes. I didn't use garlic or basil. Instead I grated up pepper jack cheese and threw in a little dry oregano and basil. I cooked it for 15 minutes. For bread with spaghetti I will leave it in a little longer next time to be crispier. But when I use it as a pizza crust the time was perfect. I will definitely be doing this a lot more often. It was so easy and I can freeze it as well and it is ridiculously cheaper than buying the tiny GF frozen pizza doughs.
Before

All Done!           


Last night Jeremiah and I had a little at home date night. We often do these Wednesday and Thursday nights and catch up on our DVR'd shows, parenthood, modern family, the middle, the office, parks and rec, and up all night. Seems like a lot but makes us look forward to just a couple of nights of TV watching then we get our fix :)

So last night I made......drum roll please.........Honey-lemon shrimp!!!! The blog I got this recipe from is actually for honey-lime shrimp but I made my own modifications, so you can check out the link if you want to.
   One bag of small-medium sized shrimp
  1/2 cup olive oil ( I only had canola)
  3 Tbsp Honey (again used agave nectar)
  Juice of one small lemon (2-3 Tbsp of bottle......I added a little bit more since it was not a fresh lemon)
  2 garlic cloves
  1/2 tsp salt
  1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
My added ingredient......Pampered Chef Chili Lime seasoning. Probably about 1Tbsp.
Throw the shrimp in the marinade for 30-60 minutes. I would almost do all day or overnight to see if I could get a little more flavor.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. I did not add any more oil since there was oil on the shrimp already. cook a few minutes on each side and done. 
http://thedoughwillriseagain.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/honey-lime-shrimp/

Now that I have covered my meals, will make sure to make it fewer at a time next time. I'm moving on to family stuff. New idea in the house. I am going to start a "Letters from God" theme with Oakley. I thought of this yesterday and maybe its not original, but I thought of it on my own to my knowledge ;) I am going to begin writing hand written letters to Oakley and mailing them to him from "God". He loves to get mail and we've been having a very had time with discipline, so I'm going to try this and see if he can understand that God is also always watching him and knowing him. I'm hoping he finds it fun.

While going GF I have totally seen a change in my energy levels and attitude. I don't feel as deprived during the day and I don't feel like I have a crash during the day where I need a nap or some caffeine. It's only been a week and a half, but I am definitely feeling the changes for the good.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment