Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January Heat Wave

It almost feels like a heat wave outside this week with temps in the 30's, if only it would last, but Florida is just less than 2 weeks away. The break from the cold will be amazing. And I know the boys will love being able to be outside every waking minute they can be. Now, just prayers and preparations for the flight!!

Oakley and I put together a fun activity to do for our playdate we had this morning, I think they would have been more fun had they turned out a little harder. We made baked cotton balls for smashing and playing. It was good for those fine motor skills ;) However, they were a little soft so I think I maybe didn't cook them quite long enough. None the less they turned out pretty and seemed interesting. Here's our process and link, I got it from Pinterest of course :)
1 C water
1 C flour (this was a good way to use up my non-gluten free flour too)
Cotton balls
Tin Foil
Cookie Sheet
Food coloring
We made four batches, so one cup flour and one cup water in each bowl. Preheat oven to 300. Mix flour and water add some food coloring, dip cotton balls in bowl, cover completely and place on foiled cookie sheet. Bake for 40 minutes.




We also made what might possibly be the best way to have a brownie than I have ever have. I thought the blog I got this from was exaggerating a bit in her post, but boy was I wrong. I may hype these up even more. Are you ready for it? Drum roll please........................
1 C Nutella
10 Tbsp Flour (we used GF flour)
2 Eggs
Bake at 350 for 20-24 minutes in a mini muffin tin. Makes 24 perfect little bites. 
Go make the trip to the store and make them now!!


On a slightly healthier note, my new go to snack are Blue Diamond Wasabi and Soy Sauce Almonds. I stole them from Jeremiah, try them too!! ;)
Last night Jeremiah and I decided to have dinner a little later and we cooked together. We realized this was something we have only done once in the almost 10 years we've been together. Not that I always do the cooking, but its usually me just telling him to hand me something so I can do it. I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to doing things in the kitchen. So last night I let him help me and he was very excited. I let him scoop out the pulp in the tomatoes so we could have Wild Rice stuffed Tomatoes. I think he did a perfect job, what do you think??

Once the inside is removed we filled them with some simple ingredients. Here is the recipe in our version.
4 Tomatoes
1/2C wild rice, cooked and drained
6 oz. Cream cheese softened
1/2 cup turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
3/4 C cheddar cheese
Slice the tops of tomatoes and remove the pulp. (Jeremiah saved the pulp for his eggs in the morning) Mix the cooked wild rice, cream cheese, bacon, and cheese. Scoop into tomatoes. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until browned. I also topped with cheese the last few minutes. We also thought next time we make them we will add a little cooked sausage instead of bacon, just another way to try.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment